Colonels are armed with heavy weaponry and are equipped with red armour that is virtually impenetrable. They are also surrounded by a team of highly trained and heavily armed Officers. Small arms, such as low-level pistols, will not penetrate the armour. A few headshots will reduce health quickly though.
During Panau's enormous military increase tax dollars were wasted to give Colonels huge paychecks. Almost all Colonels have large mansions (some are stationed at their estates), most have their own private helicopters, one has a private jet and one has a solo propeller plane.
The standing place of a colonel is scripted to give Level 2 Heat if the player gets inside. However, this will not vanish after the colonel is assassinated. Instead, the area will always be restricted, but getting inside will also cause all military traffic to approach your position, and if spotted, you will get Level 2 Heat. This can be a serious problem on several places that have mounted guns or firepower that is much greater than yours, but also in Panau City and other civilian settlements, if you don't want to be disturbed in your activities by hostile Panau Military troops.
There are many different colonels. Most of them have strange hobbies and/or personalities.
Examples of their diversity:
- The reputation and the activities stated about many of the colonels in the PDA, is against the military morale. Many colonels drink, smuggle, cultivate drugs and more.
- One colonel has created a small black market for weapons at his location. Rico can't use that market, but all three of the main Panauan factions buy their weapons there.
- Some colonels are very good at following the rules and stand very close to the president.
- At least two of them (Rany Kiandee being one of them) are very good at "sport torture".
- About 2 or 3 of them are heroes of the people. They keep criminals out of their areas of influence and generally keep the peace.
- Shved has been called "the most pleasant man in Panau".
- One of them has been stationed to a remote base in the cold mountains, as a punishment.
- Adiputera is a scientist.
- One of them supposedly travels a lot and is difficult to locate, but unfortunately he only appears at one base in the game. As a result, that base has two colonels.
- Abdul Ishak is an arrogant colonel who takes his religion to a whole new level, punishing fellow soldiers for "Breathing in an unholy manner" among other things.
Ways to assassinateEdit
- Rocket Launcher and Grenade Launcher.
- Rockets from a helicopter or plane. Direct hits will often kill the Colonel and his entire entourage.
- Explosives (Fragmentation Grenade and Triggered Explosives).
- Both types of explosives can be thrown at colonels. These are very effective.
- Triggered explosives can be placed on a car. Drive towards the colonels post, jump out and detonate when the car reaches him. This may be easier to do in an armoured vehicle as normal vehicles might be blown up before it can have any chance of reaching the colonel
- Minigun (aircraft guns included). Spraying the area with gunfire is effective. Their armor is not resistant to minigun rounds.
- Sniping a headshot (their heads are unarmoured). Low-level weapons except explosives take at least 3 headshots to eliminate a colonel.
- Use the Assault Rifle, Machine Gun, or the Sniper Rifle to shoot them in the head.
- Sniping them from afar allows for a quick escape. Staying at a good range will also make you only get "Pre-Heat", which means that you are undetected by the military and the heat will decrease fast. Sniper rifles are a better method of long range assassination as it has high power, long range and can outgun small firearms. This is very good in high places such as Panau City.
- A fully upgraded revolver can also kill them with a single headshot.
- They can also be killed by being driven over at high speeds. Bikes inflict less damage than other vehicles.
- Melee attacks using the Protec Grappler G3 are an effective and ammo-conserving method of eliminating Colonels. A few, clean, close up strikes to the Colonel, will result in a successful assassination. However it is recommended to obtain a few armor upgrades and have a good general idea of a feasible escape route via grappling hook before attempting the task. This method is especially effective in urban areas such as Panau City where escape via Grapple Hook is easy to accomplish.
- They can be killed by crashing an aircraft into them.
- They can also be killed by attaching an object like a Baby Panay statue head to a helicopter and be hit with full force of the swing. If that doesn't work, you didn't hit him at all.
Each time you defeat a colonel, you'll receive 1000 chaos points, $5000 and also the morale in the area will supposedly be reduced. This can also be means of unlocking the next mission.
There won't really be any effect on the soldiers; the loss of morale is just text on the screen.
You will unlock the "Professional Hitman" achievement if you kill 25 colonels.
List of colonels, by areaEdit
|Abdul Rahman||Bukit Bura military base||X:19140; Y:9020|
|Ismaryanto||Kem Gunung Raya base||X:21140; Y:11630|
|Azman Sherman||Bandar Kayu Manis village||X:22910; Y:13665|
|Danyal Mail||Kem Kaptain Mohideen base||X:17220; Y:21100|
|Sulung||Bandar Pekan Lama||X:28760; Y:17590|
|Usop Yeop||Negeri Cabang base||X:20740; Y:20650|
|Jegathesan||Kuala Gandin base||X:21720; Y:19810|
|Bamert||Kem Serigala Kelabu base||X:19130; Y:15725|
|Wright||Gunung Pawang Tua||X:27340; Y:18446|
|Bertrand||Kem Gunung Belakang Patah base||X:22146; Y:16136|
|Zulkrnain||Kem Gunung Belakang Patah base||X:22140; Y:16280|
|Perang Lee||Lembah Delima||X:25920; Y:20230|
|Relutzu||Pulau Ombak Ribut||X:24570; Y:18640|
|Tunko Bin Hitam||Pulau Dayang Terlena military airport||X:4470; Y:21180|
|Lee Seng Sen||Lembah Cerah||X:6550; Y:25515|
|Mo Zuo Itik||Gunung Hutan Merah||X:7880; Y:18555|
|Romel Naivalurua||Sungai Madu Leleh||X:6540; Y:21370|
|Virgilio||Tanjung Putih village||X:2934; Y:21130|
|Jejormar Isko||Pekan Hujung||X:5350; Y:23780|
|Johnn Yeo||Negeri Cengkih military base||X:13560; Y:22866|
|Yoong||Port Kuala Besar military harbor||X:16144; Y:12810|
|Siu||Sungai Jernih military airport||X:12286; Y:25200|
|Che Soon||Pasir Putih harbor||X:12990; Y:19240|
|Ranjan||Kem Singa Menerkam||X:19400; Y:6260|
|Gupta||Sungai Cengkih Besar military airport||X:20904; Y:5570|
|Adiputera||Paya Luas military airport||X:28410; Y:5704|
|Baratham||Kampung Pokok Ru||X:26406; Y:5430|
|Tuko Isnin||Pulau Ketam Kecil military harbor||X:28066; Y:11260|
|Sivanathan||Pulau Berendam military harbor||X:25880; Y:3460|
|Muhammad Yatim||Panau City Residential District||X:4335; Y:15250|
|Tengku Baba||Panau City Docks District||X:1250; Y:14350|
|Yuan||Panau City Docks District||X:1210; Y:13545|
|Shved||Kampung Ketam Laut||X:8450; Y:13890|
|Bachtiar Saleh||Panau City Residential District||X:4654: Y:15775|
|Rajah Idis||Panau City Residential District||X:3185; Y:14715|
|Sutan||Panau City Residential District||X:3070; Y:15350|
|Lee Yu Wehn||Tanah Lebar base||X:16064; Y:23460|
|Ismail Omar||Kem Pulau Kerbau harbor||X:26614; Y:27210|
|Rakyat||Pekan Kesuma||X:21760; Y:30340|
|Ruofan||Kem Port Pelangi military harbor||X:5830; Y:29630|
|Malaka||Pulau Tiga Gunung military base||X:14520; Y:26354|
|Dollah||Kem Jalan Merpati||X:9914; Y:28510|
|Boon||Pulau Naga||X:15794; Y:27920|
|Awang Deris||Kem General Abidin military base||X:2255; Y:29870|
|Abdul Ishak||Panau City Park District||X:4230; Y:11270|
|Rany Kiandee||Teluk Permata||X:9454; Y:5760|
|Loo Won Fui||Panau City Park District||X:3560; Y:12170|
|Chaerul Tunko||Panau City Park District||X:3920; Y:11424|
|Saravanan||Panau City Park District||X:3110; Y:12210|
|Hamid Hitam||Kem Komodor Da Silva port||X:8554; Y:9310|
- The names of colonels Bertrand, Shved, Bamert, Relutzu, and Wright were the result of a colonel-naming contest conducted by Eidos.
- Colonels are the most armoured enemy in game, having nearly twice as much max health as Rico does.
- No colonels have a picture of themselves in the PDA database, even if it's a photo space at every profile.