In order to hi-jack an occupied vehicle, Rico has to eject the unfortunate driver. If this action is noticed by the military, Heat will be gained. The level depends on whether it's a civilian, or military vehicle.
Hi-jacking a vehicle can get you to your next destination; out of an inconvenient situation; or to the completion of a mission objective.
Quote from the Just Cause (1) manual:
HIJACK CRIME UP 80%
A number of different vehicles have been stolen over the last few months indicating a sharp rise in hijacking related crimes.
Eye witness accounts claim that the thieves simply step up to the vehicles they wish to steal, press E and then get in and drive off.
The simplicity of this was cited as the main reason for the sharp increase in the number of cases as well as the need of young people for thrill seeking adventure.
Extra police have been put on patrol to try and combat these crimes.
Just Cause (1)Edit
Hi-jacking moving vehicles is a little easier in Just Cause (1). Note that when you enter a car from the passenger side and don't touch the controls, you can have a ride as a passenger.
- PC - "E".
- PS2 - ?
- Xbox - ?
- Xbox360 - "Y".
Method 1: Cars and boatsEdit
Stand on the road and wait until the car door is next to Rico. Make sure you don't stand in front of the car, or you will be killed. When the car door is close enough to Rico, you can enter the car, no matter how fast it's driving.
This method can also be used to obtain a boat, if Rico is swimming. Boats don't want to hit Rico, so they usually turn away, but it can be done.
If you encounter any Ballard series armored vehicles, or Harland series armoured vehicles during a Liberation sidemission, stay away from them! Make sure that you're never in the area where the turret is pointing and stay far away from the vehicles front end. They will intentionally run you over, killing Rico. The only safe way to approach them is from the side.
Method 2: Cars, helicopters and boatsEdit
Shoot the Protec Grappler G3 at the vehicle. Rico will automatically begin to parasail behind it. Reel yourself to the vehicle and either go to the Stunt Position. You can enter the vehicle from there.
Helicopters that are moving (instead of hovering) are extremely difficult to hijack.
Just Cause 2Edit
- PC - "E".
- PS3 - "Δ".
- Xbox360 - "Y".
Method 1: Civilian vehiclesEdit
Civilian vehicles can be taken the same way as Just Cause (1) vehicles. Simply by being close enough to the vehicle and pressing the right button at the right time.
How you get close enough to the vehicle, is entirely up to you.
- Running, swimming and flying next to the vehicle.
- While already on the roof (stunt position) of another vehicle.
- By using the Grappler to hang above the target.
- Shoot the Grappler at the target vehicle and enter it after landing on the vehicle (stunt position).
- Stand in front of a moving vehicle (with caution) to make it stop.
Performing a stunt jump to the roof (stunt position) of any vehicle, puts you in position to take control of the vehicle.
When grappling or stunt jumping to a motorcycle, you will land in the seat of the moving vehicle and immediately displace the driver in an instant hi-jack, no matter of it is a military soldier or civilian.
On most vehicles, if you press the hijack/enter button while standing in front of the passenger side, you will get in through the passenger door and sit in the seat. After a few seconds, the driver will stop the vehicle and run away.
Method 2: Military vehiclesEdit
When the occupant of the vehicle is a soldier, attempting to hijack the vehicle will trigger a "Quicktime event" requiring you to hit a sequence of three keys/buttons before the timer runs out. Hitting the wrong button more than once will result in Rico being killed, or thrown away by the occupant, depending on how much health you have. Successfully completing the sequence will cause Rico to eject the soldier and enter the vehicle.
- Note that attempting to hijack a military vehicle automatically gains Heat and that all passengers must be killed or removed from the vehicle before Rico can attempt to hijack it.
- If the vehicle is a military motorcycle, being driven by a soldier, there is no quicktime event, the soldier is thrown from the bike and Rico automatically takes control of the vehicle with no problems at all. It is also easier to use the stunt button to enter all motorcycles as it acts the same as entering the bike and has a much larger radius in which you can press the button, this makes it quicker too.
- Another way to hijack a military helicopter is by shooting the passenger, then before entering the helicopter, shoot the driver into his head and quickly enter the helicopter. You can't shoot at the driver, while hanging below the helicopter. You have to be in front of it. On some occasions though, a player can fire their weapon through the actual glass without leaving any scratches.
- Most planes don't require a "quicktime event". The G9 Eclipse is one of the few (if not the only one) that does need it.