|Just Cause 4|
|Aspect Ratio||Not yet announced|
|Resolutions||Not yet announced|
|Platforms||PS4, Xbox One and PC (Steam)|
|Release Date(s)||December 4th, 2018|
|Genre(s)||Open world action|
|Media||So far only digital downloads have been announced|
|Input Methods||Controller / keyboard and mouse|
|Languages||English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Arabian, Brazilian, Portuguese, Russian, Korean (interface only), Chinese (simplified) (interface only), Chinese (traditional) (interface), Polish (interface only)|
Just Cause 4 will be the fourth game in the Just Cause game series.
Quotes from the Square-Enix site:
- "Welcome to Solis, a huge South American world home of conflict, oppression and extreme weather conditions.
Just Cause 4 sees rogue hero Rico Rodriguez land in Solis to hunt down the truth about his past, at any costs.
Strap into your wingsuit, equip your fully customizable grappling hook, and get ready to bring the thunder!"
- "Soar through the skies with your wingsuit - Skydive, Base Jump and Free Dive with no limits!
Fight your enemies under extreme weather conditions, including treacherous tornadoes and tropical lightning storms, taking the iconic Just Cause action to insane new heights.
Use extreme weather events to your advantage thanks to never seen before in-game physics."
- "Spearhead the rebellion and defeat the Black Hand, a hi-tech private military organisation.
Face off against Gabriela Morales – your most fierce, capable, and unpredictable adversary yet.
Uncover the truth of Rico’s father’s past life on Solís’ and its extreme weather."
- "Explore the remote South American country of Solís, home of conflict, secrets, and danger.
Enjoy 1024 square kilometres of exotic playground, from rainforest to desert, via snowy mountain peaks.
Discover a plethora of wonders as you explore the world of Solís from bustling cities to rural grasslands."
Quote about the Gold edition of the game from Amazon:
- "Rogue agent rico rodriguez journeys to solis, a huge South American world home of conflict, oppression and extreme weather conditions. Strap into your wingsuit, equip your fully customizable grappling hook, and get ready to bring the thunder! Gold Edition Includes: just cause 4 - full game; neon racer Pack which Includes the following DLC items - neon racer Supercar: blitz around in your very own modified Supercar with boost Valve on tap. You'll be the fastest thing in solis; neon racer wingsuit: race across the skies with this unique neon design; neon racer parachute: drift over the Clouds at speed with this unique neon design; expansion pass - unlock access to each of the three expansions upon their release. More details on the expansion episodes will become available when the game is released; Golden Gear Pack - contains the coveted Golden Gear shotgun Featuring ricochet tracer secondary Fire, plus the Golden Gear wingsuit and Golden Gear parachute; digital Deluxe content - fight back against the Black hand with their own technology! Includes special Black hand DLC weaponry: Black hand stealth micro JET: special aircraft with retractable wings and experimental stealth Optic camouflage; Black hand prototype weaponized wingsuits: the Black hand's secret weapon - this prototype wingsuit features boost technology and enhanced Missile weaponry. 24Hr early access - enjoy just cause 4 before everyone else does!."
Just Cause 4 was officially announced by Square Enix at the Xbox E3 conference on June 10th. The release date is set to be on December 4th, 2018.
Setting and plot
From the pictures and from the videos put out by the Just Cause YouTube channel, the new nation name is Solís, and that it is located in South America. We know that the game takes place after the events of Just Cause 3. We also know that the Black Hand have become an even more powerful enemy as they have obtained advanced technology from the eDEN Corporation that was featured in the Just Cause 3 DLCs. Whether this is eDEN's technology however, is yet to be confirmed.
News in chronological order
Square Enix registered some JC4 internet pages in 2012. As of June 2018, these pages were still blank.
For now the most official JC4 site is this page: https://justcause.square-enix-games.com/en-us
Shortly before JC3 launch
Before the launch of JC3, Christofer Sundberg mentioned supporting Just Cause players for many years to come. A quote from early 2015 stated: "Beyond launch, we are likely to look into DLC packs and items as part of our ambition to support Just Cause 3 and its players for many years to come, but until that time we're completely focused on making the best Just Cause game we possibly can."
It's unlikely to be an actual hint of anything, but on January 4th, 2017, the official Just Cause facebook page posted the following: "Watching the trailer for Fast & Furious 8 and wondering if Rico needs a car with a grappling hook? seems to be the future." Trailer at youtube.
On October 17th, 2017 Christofer Sundberg tweeted, "We're taking our sandboxes online bringing all of you awesome players together. We're hiring for our fast growing MP-team. #AvalancheStudios". This means that the official multiplayer is coming to the sandbox game(s) in development right now. It seems that Square Enix has began to invest more in multiplayer games in general.
On October 23rd, 2017 he again tweeted, "I'm looking for a game designer, w/ experience from PvP and PvE for future games we have in the works for release in 2020.". That could mean that Just Cause 4 could come in 2020 and feature PvP (multiplayer) and PvE (player vs. environment / single player). Christofer Sundberg is known for teasing unannounced games.
In May 2018, a Walmart leak occurred, with many unannounced titles being listed on a pre-order tab. This included Just Cause 4, which could be announced at E3 2018. The leak mentions JC4 twice: once for Xbox One and once for Playstation 4.
Later in May, Avalanche Studios was purchased by a company called Nordisk Film that promised to leave them all creative liberties. It was also reported that apparently they're into ideas like "games as a service" and lots of DLC. More about that at the Avalanche Studios article.
In June 2018, Steam had accidentally revealed a Just Cause 4 advertisement, advertising pre-purchases for the game. If clicked on details, one would be redirected to the Steam store front page.
Two days later, Reddit users discovered multiple images on the German gaming site GamePro depicting Just Cause 4 related material.
On June 10th, Square Enix officially released the trailer for Just Cause 4 as well as the release date being on December 4th, 2018 at the Xbox E3 conference.
- Vehicles in Just Cause 4 - Temporary article that lists all the currently known JC4 vehicles, along with trailer screenshots and descriptions.
Confirmed returning things
- Rico Rodriguez is making his 4th return.
- The Black Hand are back. This time as the main antagonists.
- His arsenal like his grappler, parachute and wingsuit will be returning.
- The grappler is reportedly fully customizable for the first time.
- The rocket boosters will make a return, but in the form as a mod for Rico's grappling hook.
- A new feature that comes into the game are Airlifters. They are balloons that are attached to any tether to the grappling hook, and have different settings like inflate and float above 15 meters, 20 meters, follow where you're pointing or have it follow the character.
- Freely walking on top of vehicles return.
- Weapons now have this new ability called Secondary Fire, as an alternative way of how the weapon handles and fires.
- Enemy AI are reportedly now much more intelligent and lethal to Rico.
- A cool feature will be using explosive barrels as a carpet bomb. You add a balloon, Precision aim it over to a explosive tower, pop the balloons, and watch the entire tower blow up, while watching safely from a rooftop.
- This game has more languages than any other Just Cause so far.
- This is also the first Just Cause game to have vehicles from previous games return. It's hard to say that these will stay in the final release, but the U41 Ptakojester, Urga U17 Akrobat, Stria Carera Standard and possibly even the cut Autostraad Snowmobile, which are all from Just Cause 3, appear to return.
See also (relevant wiki forum threads)
The main reason why the wiki needed this article long before the game was actually rumored is the way forum threads use existing articles as sort of categories. There are multiple threads about Just Cause 4 and the future of the game series. Most notably:
- "Vehicles you'd like to see in the Just Cause games." - A very long vehicles wish list.
- "JC4 Predictions and ideas" - A very long thread with multiple ideas of fictional nations. As of November 4th, 2016, this thread is now CLOSED due to the thread passing the 500 posts mark.
- "Tanks in future Just Cause games?"
- "What gadgets would you like to see in just cause 4".
- "The possibility of cheats in Just Cause 3, 4 , 5".
- "After the JC3 story (spoilers)".
- "Places where JC4 could take place".
- "JC4 pretty much confirmed".
For newer Just Cause fan fiction, see the dedicated Just Cause Fan Fiction wiki!
Artworks and other